Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Daily Life Update #7



Disclaimer: I wrote this blog post over the course of probably 2 weeks. That means every time I say "today," "the past few days," (or anything else of the sort) it could have been the day before this posting, or nearly 2 weeks ago. For some previous Daily Life Updates you can click on the "Daily Life Update" label at the end of this post, or use one of these links (#6 and #5). 

Elaina:
As I write this portion, it's 3am and Elaina is fighting going back to sleep. Most nights she falls right asleep and I'm able to quickly go back to sleep myself. It seems she knew I was going to comment on how thankful I am for her great sleep habits (which I attribute partially to my efforts and the rest to her being a darling angel) and had to exercise a bit of defiance ;) 


The past few days have been amazing for her sleep. For nearly every nap as well as going down for the night, she has fallen asleep incredibly well. After swaddling  and singing her a song, I place her in the bassinet. Previously, she would fall asleep on her own occasionally. Most times I would come back in, pick her up and rock her to sleep (often taking only a minute or two) because she would start crying. For any given nap, that could happen several times before she was finally able to stay asleep for longer than a minute or two. For the past few days I would say that 75% of the time, she has fallen asleep without needing any extra help from me! Crossing fingers and saying prayers that this will last, but I am certainly enjoying every moment in case it doesn't! 


Elaina is very patient with Evie's help and love. She is such a happy, chill baby! I love her smiles so so much. She started smiling consistently right at 6 weeks old. She has had her first laugh! It was bath time and Evie poured water on Elaina's tummy and she chuckled. Graham was there at the time, but I had stepped out of the bathroom to get pjs ready for the girls. I can't wait to hear her laugh! 

Elaina is growing too fast! She is already outgrowing some of her 0-3 mo sleepers and onesies. She is so long! At her 2 month appointment she was 23.75in long and weighed 13lbs 14.5oz! That's 93% for girls her age. (Evie was 22in and 11lbs 13oz at 2 mo)



We did her baby blessing at church on April 9, 2017. My parents, sister, and Graham's parents were able to attend. (For a little more info on what a baby blessing is, look here under "The Blessing of Children.) 

Evie:
Evie continues to enjoy being a big sister. I have to watch to make sure she doesn't try to pick Elaina up or roll her over to give her "tummy time." (Both of which have occurred.) Evie still loves doing tummy time with Elaina, and will often have her toys do tummy time as well. She cries/whines whenever I put Elaina down for a nap. She wants her to stay awake so they can play! Evie will sit next to Elaina and talk to her. My absolute favorite is when Evie will read to her. Yesterday Evie had a stack of books and sat down next to Elaina. Evie put some of the books by Elaina for "her to read" and then Evie had the remainder. She will also bring me a book and say "read this to Elaina, mommy. And Evie. To both us." 




Thankfully, we have made it through the 2 1/2 month phase of coming out of her room each night multiple times before finally falling asleep (naked at her door I might add). Occasionally she will come out now, but when she does it's only once or twice (not 10...followed by our locking her door) and then she'll go to sleep. One of the things we added to her nighttime routine was to spend a little more time talking with her about her day. After the rest of her bedtime routine is complete (family scripture study and prayer, story, bathroom, personal prayer, song) we set her in bed and then remind her of all the fun we had that day. It is great to hear her talk about her day and to see what stuck out the most to her. Then as we (Graham and I take turns on her bedtime, one of us will read her story and the other does the rest, then we trade off the following night) give her one last kiss goodnight, we ask "is there anything else you want to tell me before I say goodnight?" Let me tell you, this is fantastic! I read a blog post about asking your child that question before bed and I love doing this. Her responses have included: "Evie want to see Jesus." "I have good day today!" "Evie have one more snuggle?" 


Today before I put Evie to bed for her nap, she started talking about storms. It has been storming recently and Evie is not a fan of the thunder and lightning. At least when she is in her room at night. She's fine when she is with us. I told her one night that she could pray to Heavenly Father if she woke up and felt scared and that He could help her. So today she was talking about storms and then she said "Heavenly Father keep Evie safe from the storms." I hadn't talked with her about that since I had said it. She has such a good memory and I love seeing how she is learning and connecting things. 


The other day Evie grabbed a little hymn book, came to sit on the couch and asked "come read scriptures with me, Mommy?" Melted my heart! I try to read my scriptures sometimes when she is awake and I'll ask her if she wants to sit on the couch and read with me. I loved having her ask me to join her. Absolutely precious. 

video

We've been listening to the soundtrack of Beauty and the Beast recently. (Disney has put all the songs on YouTube) Evie is learning them and singing along, and I love it! My favorite is that she will sing the "silly girl" lines in the song "Belle." At first she would crack up laughing during that part every time we listened to the song, and now she sings along. ("Be still, my heart, I'm hardly breathing. He's such a tall, dark, strong and handsome brute.") She even sings it in a high pitched voice! 

Graham: 

Graham is finishing up with nursing school! This semester he is taking courses in Critical Care and Pediatrics. He has loved his clinical rotation this semester. Graduation is in May and he could not be more excited. The end is in sight now and it's so exciting! He has applied for a few positions and is currently going through the interview process. We appreciate all the prayers we've received on his behalf and humbly ask that you keep sending them our way. 


Graham has recently gotten back into running and working out more. He is surprised that medium shirts now fit snugly and he is actually fitting into some larges! His typical run that he'll do is 4 miles long, but he does some longer ones and has started doing a bit of interval training on the treadmill after he lifts weights. 



Marissa: 
I thought I would give a status update on my goals for the year (see this post for my 2017 goals). 

I just finished reading my 6th book this year, which puts me right on track for my goal of 24 books. Only one of those was nonfiction, but I have two or three in mind that I know I want to read soon. I just finished book 10 in The Wheel of Time (there are 14 in the series) and I am reading a graphic novel, White Sand, by Brandon Sanderson before I start on Book 11. 

I have started running! It helps that our Young Women fundraiser was a 5K. It was scheduled for 3 weeks after I had my postpartum checkup, so it didn't leave any time for me to talk myself into delaying. I've been running 2 or 3 times each week, building up my strength and stamina each run. I've also been doing some workouts at home another 1-2 times each week (videos on YouTube for arm or leg workouts along with some cardio dance songs). I came in first for the women in the 5K (Graham came in second for the men). 



I'm doing really well on my treat days being every other day. As I mentioned in my last post, I basically took the month of February "off" and just ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Starting back in March I went to every other day for treats. For April I am scaling back to three days per week (MWF for the most part, but I'm keeping it flexible with my schedule and will alter it slightly while still keeping it to just three days). Treats every other day meant one week it would be 3 times, the next 4 times. So I'm inching closer to my goal of two treat days a week. 


Having dates twice a month is going pretty well too. In January both dates were out, for February and March we had one date out and one date at home to meet our goal. In March we went and saw the new Beauty and the Beast and we plan to see it again for a date in April. Graham and I both loved it and cannot say enough good things about it! Seeing it made me realize just how much I miss seeing musicals. 
On Pinterest a suggested pin was this picture. Love it!!!
"Staying sane." Hmm... how am I doing on this one?? Hahaha. Things are going really well. Like I said, Elaina is sleeping better than I anticipated. That is definitely helping and has allowed me to get things done around the house (some). Most days I let my expectations lower and just enjoy the small moments with my girls. Everything else can wait another day. Except dishes. I always get the dishes done (or Graham will help out and do them for me if it's been a particularly long day). I think taking the time in the middle of the day when their naps overlap to read (or take a short nap myself) has been monumental in my ability to feel rested and sane. Like I said, housework can wait.


I made it a goal to attend the temple at least once with Graham. This will most likely take place much later in the year, once Elaina isn't nursing quite as often.



Love you all and hope you have a Happy Easter! We are enjoying teaching Evie about Easter more this year.

xoxo, Marissa


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post! I love the sweet comments Evie makes. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete