Monday, May 1, 2017

Potty Training!

Eek! We took the leap and decided to potty train Evie. Originally we were going to wait longer (read: once Elaina was on a more consistent schedule and going to sleep on her own), but Evie had a friend who was wearing Frozen panties and she wanted in on that action! I thought I would share some of my thoughts from the past couple of weeks. I kept an ongoing journal throughout the process, so I wouldn't have to worry about remembering details. We did the "potty train in a weekend" method that you can research if you're interested. It's worked well! Our only main problem now (start of Evie's third week in panties) is that Evie wants to be independent and take care of everything herself...which means that today as I was nursing Elaina and Graham was getting something to eat, I heard the toilet flush...Graham's investigation revealed a very poopy mess of an Evie girl. The poor thing was trying to take care of it all by herself and never once said anything to us! (And she had already pooped three times this morning, so we weren't expecting another.)

I can't believe my little girl is so big!

Here's what we used:
-small toilet seat (ordered from Amazon)
-step stool (ordered from Amazon)
-underwear (Disney Princesses and Frozen)
-stickers and sticker chart (used the printable charts from this site)
-juice (Day 1...after that she was over the novelty of it and I wasn't going to force her to drink)
-videos (incentive for pooping on the toilet; she gets to watch a short video, often a Disney song or LDS Bible Video)

The main key was being persistent and always having eyes on Evie! The majority of her accidents happen when I am otherwise engaged with Elaina (nursing, changing diaper, putting down for a nap, etc.). We are still learning and improving each day. I do have to remember, however, to not take it personally whenever Evie has an accident. I have to remind myself that I'm not a failure as a mother because of it and that sometimes we all have hard days. And she's only two. I often have to say that to myself... "she's only two, she's only two..."

Day 1-Monday 4/17 
Evie was so excited to wear her new panties. She picked out a pair after sitting on the toilet when she woke up. I set the timer initially for 15min. The first few times she was excited to go sit on the toilet, but quickly she would say "no!" when then timer went off. She would still come with me after a little prompting though. It's 9:30am right now and we have had 2 accidents. Both times she yelled "I going pee-pee Mommy!" The first time she had already finished but I still carried her to the toilet. The second time she recognized it faster and when I said "okay Evie! Stop going pee pee!" She was able to and I carried her to the bathroom. I sat her on the toilet and said "okay, Evie, you can finish going now!" And she did! After peeing in the toilet I set the timer for 30min. We bought apple juice for her to be drinking and we had goldfish for her morning snack. We'll be doing salty snacks to encourage her to drink more. That way she will have more opportunities to be successful! 

12:10pm
Our first success! We've had another couple of accidents (including poop on the carpet while I was putting Elaina down for a nap) but Evie peed on the toilet! She had just sat to try and didn't go, but I noticed she was shifting her weight around so I asked "do you need to go pee pee Evie?" As she started to say no, she put her hand down between her legs so I scooped her up and brought her to the toilet and she peed! Woohoo! 

Originally I planned to keep Evie in underwear for her nap, but I chickened out and put her in a diaper today. Normally if she pees right before her nap she will wake up with a dry diaper; however, I've been pumping her full of liquids today. She was okay with putting a diaper on, but she did ask if she could wear panties. I told her right when she woke up from nap she could and that seemed fine by her.

2pm:
Evie woke up from her nap with a dry diaper! As soon as she woke up I took her straight to the bathroom, and she peed on the toilet! She was still a little dazed from just waking up, but she got excited to put a sticker on her chart. 

7:30pm:
Only one accident all afternoon! We kept Evie naked (well, she had a shirt on) per the recommendation of a friend and it seems to have worked. I'm pretty exhausted but am looking forward to tomorrow to see how things go. Graham will be home so hopefully we can keep eyes on Evie at all times. (75% of her accidents occurred while I was nursing Elaina or putting her down for a nap and couldn't help Evie as quickly.) 

I let her pick out which charts she wanted.
Day 2-Tuesday 4/18 
10:30am:
Evie just went to the bathroom all by herself! I've been setting the timer for 30min today. She went once on the toilet earlier this morning, but she hasn't been wanting to drink much (even with my suggestions of fun things like juice). I just had her sit and she didn't go. I went into the bedroom to put away some laundry and I hear an excited Evie shouting "I go pee pee Mommy! I go pee pee!!" And I immediately thought "oh great, of course right when I walk out of the room." But then she comes running out of her bathroom! She got some on her step stool, but she knew she needed to go and all on her own ran in there and went to the bathroom! Woohoo!!!!! 

1:30pm:
No accidents so far today! Three successful trips to the bathroom to pee (one of which was when she went on her own this morning). She is napping right now (I put her in a diaper since she didn't go right before her nap) and we are hoping for a good afternoon as well! We pulled out some different stickers for her chart today and she has asked a couple of times to try to pee because she wants to use those stickers. 

2:30pm:
Another dry diaper upon waking up from nap! Went to sit right when she woke up and she peed. 

4:45pm:
Doing great still! Around 3pm Evie went to her closet and grabbed a pair of her underwear and put them on. I told her that she needed to keep Elsa and Anna dry and she said "okay Mommy!" Just before 4pm I was helping Elaina (rocking her back to sleep, poor thing) while keeping an eye on Evie in her room as much as possible. I saw her grab between her legs so I said "Evie, go to the toilet! Hold your pee pee in!" As she ran to the bathroom I put Elaina back in her bassinet and went to assist Evie. 

8:30pm: 
Day 2 is complete! Absolutely no accidents today!! Woohoo!!! Three times she self-initiated going to the bathroom. She has been so excited to put stickers on her chart and has been great at keeping her panties dry! Looking forward to a good day tomorrow, including a trip out...fingers crossed that it is a success. She did such a great job today, but I've found that I am super jumpy. Like anytime she stares off into space for a second or shifts her weight on her legs, I ask "Evie, do you need to go pee pee??" Here's to hoping I get better adjusted to her using the bathroom too! 

We ended up using all four on the site.

Day 3-Wednesday 4/19 
10:30am:
I've been setting the timer for 1 hour today. The first two times it went off Evie peed on the toilet! Around 10am she didn't need to go, but I could tell she was concentrating and trying to pee. Just now she ran out of the room suddenly and Graham and I both thought she was running to see him (he was in the bathroom brushing his teeth). I heard her stool clatter a little bit though so I set Elaina down and ran in to help her. She was standing on her stool trying to sit on her toilet seat. There was some poop on the bathroom floor and some on the toilet seat. I'm so proud of her for recognizing that she needed to poop and making it all the way to the bathroom. If we had known what was happening I bet we could have gotten it all in the toilet because we could have helped her on a little faster than she could go on her own. (Plus poop is way easier to clean off that floor than carpet! Haha) 

4pm: 
She woke up wet from nap today. I figured that would be the case since she hadn't peed since 9:30am. We've made our first outing in the car! We came to Graham's parents house so we had Evie try to pee before we left and she did! And just a little bit ago she told us she needed to go and she pooped on the toilet. 

8pm:
Another good day! Tonight after bath she had a partial accident. I say partial because she realized she needed to go, told me, and we got to the toilet for her to finish going. She got her panties wet but nothing got on the floor! I am so proud of her and love how great she is doing! Tomorrow we will be driving in the car all day so I'm going to put her in a diaper. Each time we stop (about every 3 hours so I can nurse Elaina) we will have her sit and try to pee. 

Evie volunteered to drive the next leg.

Day 4-Thursday 4/20 (Travel) 
1:30pm:
Our day traveling day is going well so far. We are on the road again after stopping for lunch. Evie had a dry diaper this morning when we stopped and she peed at the gas station! Before we had stopped she said "I need a diaper change, Mommy." Since she was dry I think she was realizing she needed to go. When we stopped for lunch she said "I'm going pee pee Mommy." Cinda took her to the bathroom and she finished going there. She hadn't gone much in her diaper! Shortly afterward she said she needed to go again, so Cinda took her, but nothing came of that. Then again, right when she got back she said "I need poo poo!" And took off running toward the bathroom. This time I set Elaina down from feeding her and went with Evie. We weren't quick enough to get it in the toilet, but I'm glad she is still recognizing what is happening and telling me. 

10pm:
Evie did great all afternoon and we arrived at our final destination with a dry diaper! She peed each time we stopped and before we had dinner. After dinner she went upstairs to play with Graham's cousins and I stayed downstairs to talk. I went to get her to get her ready for bed and she was already coming down the stairs saying "I know where the bathroom is. I already know where the bathroom is, Mommy." I asked if she needed to go and she said "I already poo poo Mommy." I wasn't super thrilled at having to clean out her underwear, but I'm glad she came to find me right away. She did poop a little bit more on the toilet, so that's something! 

Day 5-Friday, 4/21
5pm: 
Evie has done great all day! She has peed and pooped on the toilet, even telling me on her own once that she needed to go. She just had an accident. I went to get her again to use the bathroom and she was wet, but thankfully nothing was on the floor. I think she was having so much fun playing in Sophia's playroom that she didn't even think about it. Normally she is really good at telling me she goes, but this time she didn't. 

10pm:
One more accident today, while she was playing out in the backyard. However, she stayed dry while we were in the car for about an hour and she even fell asleep. First thing when we got inside I brought her to the bathroom and she went! 

Asleep in the car, but thankfully dry!

Day 6-Saturday, 4/22
8:30am:
Evie went to the bathroom this morning when she woke up and only had a little in her diaper. Just now I was coming back from brushing my teeth and I saw her spreading her legs wide so I scooped her up. Didn't make it to the toilet in time for her to poop there. Oh well, accidents happen! And I know while we are in other homes and out of our normal routine that they will be more frequent than if we were home. Especially this early in her journey! 

10:30am:
Another success. Another accident. This time pee. I had just sat down on the couch to nurse Elaina and I hear Evie from the bathroom going "I pee pee Mommy!" So I called for Cinda to get to her to help. She had finished going, but I'm glad she remembered to go to the bathroom and to tell me she needed help. Baby steps! 

5:45pm:
I only packed two extra pairs of underwear with us today, so she is in a diaper now because I had one of those in the bag. It's just been such a busy busy day and I've been trying to get her to sit. She just hasn't been going when I take her! 

Day 7-Sunday 4/23
11:30am: 
Evie is doing great today! She peed right when she woke up and only had a little in her nighttime diaper. Before we left for church I had her try, as well as right when we got to church. I took her again 30min later because she still hadn't peed since first thing after waking up. Right after I took her and got back, she said "I need to go potty, Mommy." I picked her up and brought her to the toilet and she peed! So proud! About 5 min later she said the same thing to me, so (trying not to roll my eyes) I took her again. She pooped! Woohoo! She peed again when we got home from church. We went to nursery for a little bit, then came back to Mama and Papa's house to pack and get ready for our afternoon. 

Week 2: 
Monday: We started off this week with another day of travel. Evie went the the bathroom first thing, had a diaper on for the car ride and pooped on the toilet when we made our first stop in the morning! 

Tuesday: Evie is doing great on our first day back home. She is getting so much better at knowing when she needs to go and telling us. It's nap time now and no accidents so far! 


Friday: Only one accident yesterday and two (half) accidents today. Evie has been in panties for nap time since we've been home and she has woken up dry from her nap each day! The past two nights she has cried about having to wear a diaper, screaming "I wear panties!!" repeatedly. I'm not ready to tackle night time potty training just yet though. 


Conclusion: 

All in all, it has been a good (and tiring) experience. I'm so proud of her for all the success she has had thus far and I look forward to the day (it's got to come relatively soon, right??) when I can make it without jumping every time she crosses her legs or shifts her weight from foot to foot. Baby steps. The only time she has peed during nap time was one of the very first days and she was in a diaper. After Day 3 she has worn panties for her nap and always wakes up dry! Although, I am nervous about letting her take a longer nap than normal (1.5 hours) because I'm afraid she'll pee!

Any words of wisdom for caring for a baby while trying to help a toddler use the bathroom on the toilet?? I'm open to suggestions!

xoxo, Marissa

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any suggestions for you (my boys all trained much later!), but I just want to say you're doing great! And before you know it, you won't even be thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete