Thursday, August 3, 2017

Transitions

Eek! So much has happened...I know I always say that, but it's true! Graham graduated from Nursing School (woohoo!!!), landed his first job as a nurse (woohoo!!!), and we moved to a new apartment (woohoo!!!). So...yeah...lots and lots of transitioning for us. I thought I'd take a bit to fill you in on the details and how everything's going in case you were curious. :)


Graham's Transitions

Graham graduated from Nursing School at the beginning of May. It was such an exciting time! We both felt like school had been our life for so long (...our entire marriage) that we were more than ready to have him finish. We had a graduation party at the park for him and grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and spent time with family and friends. It was a beautiful day and we were so grateful to everyone that was able to make it.





Then came the interviews. Graham applied and interviewed at several places, eventually accepting a job in the ICU of a hospital. It wasn't his top pick for hospital, but he wanted to be in the ICU. Then, a couple weeks later (before his start date), a spot opened up in the ICU at the hospital that was his top choice. He applied, interviewed, and subsequently accepted a job in that department. We feel so incredibly blessed! It did, however, make for an awkward conversation with the hospital he had initially accepted the job with. (It's very clear in all of nursing that it's "at will" employment, so it wasn't a big deal to take another job after accepting that one. We were grateful the new job opened up before he started the other one though!) The snag that came with this job was that they didn't accept temporary licenses, so Graham would need to take the NCLEX (nursing boards) before he could start work. With the timing of everything, that essentially gave Graham 2 weeks before he needed to take the biggest test of his life, hah. Annnnnd in those two weeks we were moving and spending a week in San Antonio for a wedding...yep. But, Graham is smart and used the time he had to study like crazy. He took the NCLEX, passed (woohoo!!) and started his new job :) He has been in the ICU for 6 weeks now and is loving it. He's learning so much and still can't believe that he landed his dream job right out of school. God has been good to us :)



Graham will be switching to nights in two weeks! That will be another transition for sure.

New Apartment 

We moved in order to be closer to Graham's work, and I am so glad we did! We were sad to leave friends, but being 5 minutes from work instead of 35 is so nice. Especially when those work days are ending at 8pm and little girls want to see their Daddy!

We are feeling settled into our new apartment. We moved on Memorial Day, 2017, and were blessed to have friends from church help us load (and then unload) the U-Haul. Loading took 45 minutes and unloading took an hour! Our new apartment is upstairs, so we were particularly grateful for the help unloading. My parents were able to come up that weekend to help as well, and my mom pretty much cleaned our old apartment while I took care of Elaina! We had Graham's parents watch Evie (she stayed the night at their house the night before) which was helpful too! Pro packing tip: Label. Heh. I found these labels via Pinterest and printed the ones that applied. Everyone that helped, particularly with unloading, commented on how well-organized our move was.

After a few days of unpacking like mad, we headed to San Antonio for Graham's cousin's wedding. Evie was the flower girl, and we had a blast! After returning home, I finished unpacking and getting everything organized. Some family members have been asking for pictures, so I snapped some a couple days ago.

Girls' Room:



Our Room:



Living Room:

Evie took this one :) 
 Kitchen:

View of kitchen from hallway, showing pantry and bathroom doors


 Pantry (walk-in, which I love!!!) and Bathroom


Hallway (first door on left is pantry, second is bathroom. Evie's standing in our bedroom, and the girls' bedroom is at the end of the hall on the right)



We love how close we are to our church and the park/bike trail. We also love the pool and playground at our apartment complex. This apartment is slightly smaller but feels larger. It has a vaulted ceiling, and the cabinets, doors, and carpet are lighter in color than our previous apartment.

Girls

I don't think a post would be complete without some pictures of Evie and Elaina and a little bit about what they have been up to recently. I considered doing a separate post for this, but who am I kidding? That would take me another 3 months to get to most likely ;)




Elaina: I cannot believe this baby girl is 6 months old now! She has her checkup next week. (If I remember I'll come back and edit this to include her height/weight.) She is the happiest little baby around and is so so smiley all the time. Getting a laugh out of her takes work though. Evie says "she's been playing! um, rolling back off her tummy. Oh! We forgot to pick up her toys!" When I asked "What else has she been doing?" Evie replied "Not anything else." She started sitting up for more than just a couple seconds at a time a few days shy of the 6 month mark. She has also started eating! So exciting. Although I do miss not having to clean the floor and highchair...*sigh* So far she has tried pancake, strawberry, watermelon, peach/nectarine, carrot, noodles, bacon, and venison. She has also started to learn how to drink water from a straw. Elaina was so ready to be eating and loves it. She got the concept down faster than Evie did. She was sick for the first time with a fever and cough/congestion. One night when she was sick she coughed so much it made her throw up :( She is over it now thankfully and is sleeping well again.






Evie: My Evie girl is getting smarter by the day. Not only does she cart a little chair to anywhere in the apartment so she can reach/climb up, but she also comes up with really creative solutions to problems. I love seeing her little toddler (soon to be full on preschooler) brain work. We read books like crazy, and she loves reading books to Elaina in turn. Recently her favorite toys to play with are blocks. She often makes birthday cakes, monster houses, and monster bridges. She continues to be my good little helper. She is quick to get a toy for Elaina, grab a burp cloth for me if it's out of my reach, and give lots of hugs and kisses to her baby sister. Evie says "I'm fixing my boat" (she's playing with blocks now) "This boat is falling apart. There we go! My boat is fixed. Oh! I maked a new boat! Blue and green and little green." She then proceeded to make some boat sounds as she took it around the living room. Her imagination has really taken flight. She has been searching for monsters with her flashlight lately. And apparently there's a tiger that likes to frequent her room. Several times this past week she will close the door to her room as she comes out saying "The tiger was coming!" Said tiger has also bitten her toes. :)




Me 

May as well throw in a bit for me too. I've been reading as my main hobby. I'm on the last book in The Wheel of Time and loving it. I was just called to serve as Secretary in our Primary (children's organization at church) and am so excited! A friend shared this blog post a few days ago and it is all I can think about lately. Such a great read for all of the other moms out there! Seriously every single time I feel myself getting frustrated, this pops back into my head. I'm certainly not perfect, but I am working really hard to improve myself in light of that thinking. I've also subscribed to the Proverbs 31 Ministry newsletter--I take a few minutes to read the devotional each morning and it is helping me stay centered.

Evie has asked that I "stop typing" so I'm signing off to play carousel ride with her and the blocks.

xoxo, Marissa

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for this new phase of life for you and your little family. Thanks for all the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are excited for this phase as well :)

      Delete